FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION
Let us know about FUE,
Follicular unit extraction (FUE), also known as follicular transfer (FT), is one of two primary methods of obtaining hair follicles, naturally occurring groups of one to four hairs, for hair transplantation. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), is a hair transplant method in which the doctor extracts the follicular units of hair, from the donor area of your head, one by one.
The doctor uses a small micro needle, which punches a tiny incision around a hair follicle before extraction. Each unit contains one to four hairs. These one to four hair groupings (called follicular unit grafts) are then transplanted into the balding areas of your head. In this method thus, there is no need for the surgeon to make a long incision in the donor area.
This is an ideal method of surgery for patients who like to wear their hair short. This method is also recommended for patients who have a tight scalp or have previously undergone the ‘strip’ or FUT method but with little or no success.
The follicular unit extraction method involves the following procedure:
1. At the outset, the doctor anesthetizes the scalp.
2. Using a small micro needle, the doctor makes a circular incision, less than 1 mm in diameter, around a follicular unit on your head, to isolate a graft.
3. Then, using a tweezer-like instrument, the doctor extracts the follicular unit from your donor area. Multiple follicular units are extracted this way.
4. Before the process of harvesting the follicular units, tiny holes are drilled on your scalp, where hair loss has occurred.
5. The follicular units are then placed in these holes, from where they gradually start yielding hair.
6. A disinfectant is gently applied to your head after the procedure.
7. At the end of the procedure, the doctor will ask you to wear a bandana or a cap to protect your head for a few days.
An advantage of the FUE procedure is that it has more donor site options, as grafts can be extracted from other parts of your body as well. FUE can also be used to fill in areas of eyebrows in men and women and beard in men.
Am I eligible/ineligible for the FUE hair
Find out whether you are eligible/ ineligible for the FUE hair procedure from the table below: