FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION
Let us know about FUT,
Follicular unit extraction (FUE), also known as follicular transfer (FT), is one of two primary methods of obtaining hair follicles, naturally occurring groups of one to four hairs, for hair transplantation. The follicular units obtained by either method are the basic building blocks of follicular unit transplantation (FUT). Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), as opposed to the FUT procedure, is a hair transplant method in which the doctor extracts the follicular units of hair, from the donor area of your head, one by one.
The doctor uses a small micro needle, which punches a tiny incision around a hair follicle before extraction. Each unit contains one to four hairs. These one to four hair groupings (called follicular unit grafts) are then transplanted into the balding areas of your head. In this method thus, there is no need for the surgeon to make a long incision in the donor area, as in the FUT procedure.
This is an ideal method of surgery for patients who like to wear their hair short. This method is also recommended for patients who have a tight scalp or have previously undergone the ‘strip’ or FUT method but with little or no success.
The follicular unit extraction method involves the following procedure:
1. At the outset, the doctor anesthetizes the scalp.
2. Using a small micro needle, the doctor makes a circular incision, less than 1 mm in diameter, around a follicular unit on your head, to isolate a graft.
3. Then, using a tweezers-like instrument, the doctor extracts the follicular unit from your donor area. Multiple follicular units are extracted this way.
4. Before the process of harvesting the follicular units, tiny holes are drilled on your scalp, where hair loss has occurred.
5. The follicular units are then placed in these holes, from where they gradually start yielding hair.
6. A disinfectant is gently applied to your head after the procedure.
7. At the end of the procedure, the doctor will ask you to wear a bandana or a cap to protect your head for a few days.
An advantage of the FUE procedure is that it has more donor site options, as grafts can be extracted from other parts of your body as well. FUE can also be used to fill in areas of eyebrows in men and women and beard in men.
Am I eligible/ineligible for the FUE hair procedure?
Find out whether you are eligible/ ineligible for the FUE hair procedure from the table below:
Eligible for FUE
Ineligible for FUE
- If you have been diagnosed with a condition which prevents natural hair growth.
- If you find medically proven hair loss treatments do not work for
- If you do not have a problem to shave your head.
(The donor area needs to be shaved for an FUE procedure.)
- If the cause of your hair fall is undiagnosed and you do not
have alopecia but suffers from itching.
- If you are below 25 years with ongoing hair fall.
- If you suffer from multiple medical conditions such as
uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension, asthma, or heart problems.
- If you take medicines such as blood thinners or beta blockers.
- If you suffer from Trichotillomania which causes people to compulsively
pull out in which case you need psychiatric counseling.
- If you have low density of hair on the back of the head which will not
yield enough follicles for a transplant.